Thursday, November 6, 2008

Are You Smart Enough To Vote?

So my neighbor Megan came over for dinner tonight and had a brilliant idea:   In order to vote, everyone should take a quick quiz acknowledging they are at least familiar with what they are voting on.  A simple test of the issues at hand.  

Now, I will be the first to admit I don't know every single issue at stake but I did do my homework before I cast my ballot.  I needed clarification in many areas and was even surprised at some of my findings.  Yes, I left a few blank since I don't know every judge in town but that is something I need to be more proactive about. 

We had an interesting conversation about people we know who openly share their vote but can't explain their reasoning.  Or those who just say they are voting this way because their spouse or parent is or even because they have always voted this way.  

I think we live in an exciting time where great things are happening and maybe at a future election their will be a pass/fail quiz that says, "Pass: You are ready to vote" or "Fail: Go back home and do your homework."

12 comments:

Dave and Loralee said...

hello blogger mania. that was fun to read about. and I might just now be a teensy bit jealous of all your trips home. that's some great looking GREEN grass in your parent's backyard. and the in n out cup made me homesick. good thing I mapquested them all before we headed to northern california. parker is one seriously cute kid-I can't imagine that it's possible to ever get upset at him for anything...am I right?
so are you guys sticking around for christmas at all?
see you at bunko! :)

Dave and Loralee said...

and yes, it IS way too early to be awake right now.

The Powell-Mirci Family! said...

I hear you on that one! ( I also had to leave some blank) I felt so bad!! I was totally bringing a printout to the polls, but ofcourse forgot! I also had to bring all 3 kidos, and they were AWESOME! Plus they got a sticker!

sara said...

I always leave them blank when I haven't done the research. It doesn't feel right to check something when I have no idea what might be the possible outcome of that vote. It's an amazing power we have, that we should not take for granted.

Unknown said...

I loved checking out all the pictures. It's crazy to see how big Parker has gotten over the progression of the posts. I still need to make my way to SD someday, it looks like a blast.

Unknown said...

Sorry, that last comment was from me, Amanda Yonker.

Telitha said...

Wow, it looked like you had such a nice trip to SD! I love the playground they put together!

Jess said...

Hello Beautiful girl!! Looks like you had a fabulous vacation. Love all the pics and am very glad you are posting again!! Hope everything is going good! Miss you guys! Parker is getting so big-I love the CHEESE face! I totally had to do my research this year too because I really wanted to vote (and not just for president) so we looked up everything online...glad we got to vote!

Rachel said...

I love this idea! That was such a fun VT visit the other day. I hope we didn't overload you with politics:) I also think they need to raise the age to 25 because 18 year olds are all crazy today!

Jess said...

Just wanted to wish you guys a MERRY CHRISTMAS!! We miss you and hope all is well!!

Love,
Justin and Jess Cranney

Tracey said...

I'm sad we weren't in San Diego to enjoy your visit and meet little Parker. He is so cute! My favorite picture is the cheese sign, that is awesome! One of these days we'll have to meet up in San Diego! I hope Mia is doing well, I still can't get over how we met her- there are some people you're just meant to be connected to and we're glad it's you guys! Try to stay warm!

Anonymous said...

To vote is to practice your rights. My personal injury lawyer arizona likes this so much. Appreciate your blog a lot, keep posting!